Wednesday 22 August 2012

First Day!

What an amazing 36 hours I've had!

I set off from Southampton with my humongous suitcase, only to be met with a(nother) late train! Getting worried that I wouldn't get into London in time for my 8pm bedtime(!), I was getting really worried when I suddenly got a phone call from my Games Maker Workforce Operations telling me *not* to come at 6am, but "have a lie in" and come at TEN instead! YAYYYYYYYY!

So I checked in to find this amazing room waiting for me!

My crash pad for the first leg of my GM adventure :)
I had a really good night's sleep :)

Then Day 1 came round, and I leisurely took my time to get to work (after contributing some funds to my sponsors McDonald's in exchange for breakfast!). When I got there, we were momentarily bemused to find that there was *no* work to do, so after milling around for 30 mins or so, we were all told that we could go home!

This is the best first day at work EVER!

Anyway, I took the opportunity to go round the Athletes Village, find out where the Malaysian athletes were based and basically have a nose around the area before it gets properly crowded. The place is amazing! It's like a little enclosed town; it has a post office (where you can make personalized stamps!), convenience store, photo shop, phone shop, laundry service, etc. Every nook and cranny had different little nifty things. I took a million photos, but due to strict rules, I'm not allowed to post any of them until after the Paralympics, so there will be a flood of pics at some point (next month)!

This photo should be OK though:

Me in a replica of an athlete's room at the Village. No, I did not break into anybody's room..
The best bit for me is how friendly all the GMs are! At the moment I'm still on a no-name basis, so I don't really remember anybody's name, but it's amazing how easy it is to just chat with random strangers and end up doing things together even if you've just met each other :)

So far I'm really humbled by all the people I've met. They come from so many different backgrounds and they have so many life stories that I'm quite honoured to be here working with them. It's a shame that although I haven't exactly started working properly, I'm already one day down, out of what limited time I have left, so I'm really gonna soak up every second of the experience as much as I can :)

OMG is it past 9pm already? Way past my bedtime!!

2 comments:

  1. Err, where can we buy that duvet sheet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't! The athletes can take them home from their own rooms, so I don't know if there'll be any left for sale.

      Delete